Men’s & Women’s Weekends
The Cursillo method includes a separate three-day weekend for Men and Women, which begins on Thursday evening and concludes on Sunday.
During this time, talks are given by lay persons and clergy who have spent time working together planning and preparing for the weekend.
The weekend is an opportunity to meet other individuals who are seeking to strengthen their faith. It provides an opportunity through shared prayer, worship, singing, study, fellowship, discussion, and love to experience the reality of the gift of God’s grace.
The Cursillo weekend is not a retreat, nor is there any fasting or extended periods of silence. The Eucharist is celebrated daily.
Cursillistas return from the weekend with a renewed commitment to work for Christ. To maintain this commitment, Cursillistas are encouraged to join in the activities of the community of persons who have also experienced the weekend.
The purpose of this community is to give strength and support to each other in order that each person might grow in faith and develop their particular gifts of ministry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who May Take Part?
Cursillo is open to adult Christian laity or clergy, men or women, married or single.
In the Diocese of Calgary, weekends are held in the Spring and Autumn. There are separate weekends for women and men, normally one week apart.
Married couples are encouraged to attend successive weekends but this is not mandatory..
What Is Expected of Participants?
- To be open and willing to respond to what you experience, to share your feelings with others, and to allow others to share their feelings with you
- To make a genuine effort to discover where and how you can grow in your Christian life
- To feel secure in the knowledge that you are accepted as you are, and to understand that a specific response is not expected of you
- To be curious and thirsty for spiritual exploration and nourishment
- To acknowledge a need to commit a weekend of your life to Christ
Is There a Cost for the Weekend?
- The cost for the weekend is $ 215.00 CDN, which covers lodging, meals, and materials.
- Financial aid is available through the Diocesan office of the Anglican Diocese of Calgary and, if required, should be requested when an application is submitted.
How Do I Apply?
- Each candidate must be sponsored. Your sponsor will assist you in preparation for the weekend and, more importantly, assist you after the weekend.
- In many cases a prospective sponsor from within your parish may approach you about Cursillo.
- If you are interested in Cursillo but do not have sponsor, speak to your parish representative or someone in your parish whom you know has attended a Cursillo weekend. Ask them to tell you more about Cursillo. Pray about it, and if you conclude that you should go, ask them to sponsor you. If you don’t know your parish representative or anyone in your parish who has attended a Cursillo weekend, ask your Rector.